5D4N Classic Inca Trail to Machu Picchu (Extensions for longer visit available) Includes an active full day visiting the Sacred Valley of the Incas
The Classic Inca trail to Machu Picchu is the most popular trek in South America: It combines a gratifying physical challenge with the opportunity to visit magnificent Inca remains only reachable by foot in the midst of unparallel natural beauty. High passes with breathtaking vistas of surrounding snow peaks and mountains filled with lush tropical vegetation joined by a well-preserved cobblestone trail that is a unique expression of Inca engineering. Over 30 years’ experience in operating Inca trails have polished this itinerary to become what we consider the best way to experience the Inca Trail.
Departures every Monday and Thursday.
This itinerary is also unique and special:
*We optimize your travel time and help you to acclimatize properly by exploring the Sacred Valley in depth like few other people do on your way to the trail head. This gives you a chance to get familiarized with Inca trails, get to exchange thoughts with your Guide and other participants in your group before the trek.
*You will avoid the extremely early wake up in Cusco (4:30 a.m.) and the 2 ½ hour drive to meet the crowds at the entrance to the Inca Trail.
*We have chosen what we consider the best campsites along the way. We are the only operator who uses two exclusive private campsites: At “Camp Km 82” and at “Paucarcancha”, where you can enjoy nature with the amenities of indoor plumbing toilets, hot showers and on the first night a wood fired sauna in the midst of beautiful settings.
* For your enjoyment, we have designed this itinerary spacing out the trekking days to smoothly gain altitude at the beginning and evenly distribute your efforts during the rest of the trek days.
*We use bio-degradable chemical toilets in order to avoid the public toilets that other operators use.
At 7:30 a.m. in the morning, we will pick you by private vehicle from your hotel for a comprehensive Sacred Valley tour the day before you enter the Inca Trail. This is the natural and most efficient way to get close to the trail head while getting acclimatized and familiar with Inca trails. We will drive over the “Ccorao” pass above Cusco to descend on a winding road to the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Here we will hike on Inca trails trough the magnificent Inca citadel of PISAC considered as one of the outstanding Inca remains because of the quality of the stonework and breath-taking location on a mountain saddle overlooking the Sacred Valley. After a 1 1/2hour visit and hike, we will drive down the mountain for a short visit to the colonial town of the same name with a quick stop at their famous Indian handicraft market. Afterwards we will drive following the Urubamba River downstream to Urubamba city; here we will visit the local food market and have lunch at a local restaurant nearby. Afterwards we will visit Ollantaytambo, considered the most authentic living Inca town. This town has been continuously inhabited since Inca times until the present, conserving its original urban layout and stone walled homes. A guided walking tour through the extensive ruins and cobblestone paved narrow streets will make you feel like you are travelling back in time. From here, we will travel for 40 minutes on a mostly unpaved road to our beautifully situated permanent campsite “Camp Km. 82” set on the banks of the Urubamba River, very close to the entrance to the trail at Km. 82. Located at 2700 meters above sea level (8,900 feet), it offers indoor plumbing, hot showers and a firewood sauna. From the camp, we also enjoy panoramic views of the snow-capped Mt. Veronica (20,275′). This private campsite is the resting point before all our Inca Trail treks and is a wonderful place to relax and prepare for the challenge ahead.
After we are introduced to our crew and Porters, we will walk over to the Inca trail control station, here we quickly go through the entrance control procedure and begin our trek following the left bank of the Urubamba River. After a couple of hours of gentle hiking, we reach a viewpoint to enjoy the extensive Inca ruins of Llactapata. We continue hiking, this time away from the Urubamba River ascending and following the Cusichaca River towards the village of Huayllabamba, we have a picnic lunch nearby and continue ascending to our campsite right below the 2nd Park Control Station with splendid views of Mount Veronica. You will find your tents set up and ready for you. Time to rest before we are served a complete dinner and retire for the night.
Total distance: 12 km (7,47 miles)
Estimated walking time: 5-6 hours
Maximum altitude point: 3,000 m (9,840 ft)
Campsite altitude: 3,000 m (9,840 ft)
After enjoying the beauty of this special campsite and a nutritious breakfast, we begin hiking on a shortcut trail above the village of Huayllabamba. We register at the Park’s 2nd control station (now in the protected area) to continue on an ascending trail with increasingly rewarding views. Later, we hike through an interesting cloud forest of native trees before we reach our lunch spot at “Llullucchapampa”. We have lunch enjoying views of the far away Huayllanay Glacier on the opposite side. Energized with lunch we will tackle the high pass known as “Warmiwañusta” or Dead Woman’s Pass (4,200 meters above sea level). We’ll slowly ascend towards the high pass taking deep breaths while rewarded with spectacular views. We reach the pass, take time for a rest and the classical pictures before we begin descending to reach our campsite at Pacaymayu about 1 ½ hours away in valley.
Total distance: 11 km (6,84 miles)
Estimated walking time: 7-8 hours
Maximum altitude point: 4,200 m (13,776 ft)
Campsite altitude: 3,580 m (11,742 ft)
An early nourishing breakfast bolsters our energy for a day’s hike, this time on the original cobblestone paved trail left by the Incas. We can appreciate the lovely changes in vegetation and geology as we pass through different ecological zones. We climb up and over the second-high pass at 3,950 Mts. On a clear day, our efforts will be rewarded with unparalleled views of the snow-covered peaks of the Cordillera Vilcabamba and the lush valley vegetation. Masterful Inca engineering is today’s highlight along the trail as we discover the Inca remains of Sayajmarca at 3,640 Mts., explore them, have a picnic lunch and continue to camp at the incomparable site of Phuyupatamarca, THE PLACE ABOVE THE CLOUDS at 3,680 Mts. We have enough time to soak up some of the magical charm of this marvellous campsite.
Total distance: 10 km (6,21 miles)
Estimated walking time: 5-6 hours
Maximum altitude point: 3,950 m (12,956 ft)
Campsite altitude: 3,700 m (12,136 ft)
The views of Sacred Salkantay Mountain and the spectacular sunrise in “Phuyupatamarca” are both considered highlights of the trek. We will rise early to watch the sun come up with the exiting idea in mind that today we will reach Machu Picchu, the lost City of the Incas. After breakfast, we say good-bye to our crew and porters and we have a chance to voluntarily tip them. Most of them will take a detour from the main trail and head to the town of Aguas Calientes where they catch the train to go home. After breakfast, we hike on lush high jungle terrain for a couple of hours. We go down a clear stone paved trail with numerous incredible stairways, a small tunnel and several viewing terraces. We will come to the ruins of Wiñay Wayna (FOREVER YOUNG) to visit this outstanding Inca site and have lunch nearby. We continue on to Inti Punku (THE GATE TO THE SUN). From here, we first see the spectacular city of Machu Picchu below us. After recuperating our breath and taking memorable pictures we`ll quickly descent along the wide royal Inca road to enter the mysterious citadel. Here we will have a tour in detail of the site at a less crowded time of the day and enjoy wondering in the midst of its eternal beauty. Take the bus down to the train station to catch the 7p.m. return train to Cusco (a delicious Diner will be served on board on the 1st Class train). Expect to be at your hotel in Cusco at 11 p.m. B and Box lunch.
Total distance: 11 km (6,84 miles)
Estimated walking time: 5 hours
Maximum altitude point: 3,700 m (12,136 ft)
Machupicchu altitude: 2,400 m (7,872 ft)
PLEASE NOTE: Campsites in this itinerary may vary. They are subject to change according to assignments made by the governmental institution (INC) regulating the use of the Inca Trail.
PRICES PER PERSON 2018
5D4N Classic Inca trail USD $780.00
- If less than 4 people sign up for the trek date please add USD $90.00 to cover costs
- Extra Porter per 4 days – Porter to carry your personal belongings to a maximum weight of 20 Kg (44 lbs), usually enough for 2 people: $160.00
- Sleeping bag with liner for rent, $6.00 per day: USD $24.00
- Inflatable pads for rent, $5.00 per day: USD $20.00
- Single Supplement or Forced Single Supplement. Is paid by participants who specifically request single tent, subject to availability. If you are traveling alone and wish to share accommodations, we will try to match you with a roommate (same gender). However, if a roommate is not available, the forced single supplement will be charged: $70.00
- Sacred Valley tour with lunch.
- Transfer from Cusco/Ollantaytambo to Km.82
- Permits/entrance fee to the Inca trail and Machu Picchu.
- Accommodations in top quality tents, 2 people in each 4-man tent Passenger tents based in double occupancy.
- 4 Breakfast, 5 Lunches, 4 Dinners (mentioned as B, L, D at the end of each day in the itinerary.)
- Service of local official bilingual (English-Spanish) guides.
- Service of camp staff: Cook, assistants, porters. Porters will carry your personal belongings in a duffle bag or pack up to 10 Kg. each person.
- All group camping and cooking equipment carried by Porters.
- Dinning tent: With tables and tablecloth, chairs plus all silverware.
- Toilet tent with biodegradable chemical toilet.
- Return train from Machu Picchu to Cusco* 1St Class: US$186.00 (includes diner). Executive: $105.00. Both these trains go to Ollantaytambo from where we transfer to your hotel in Cusco.
- Integral General Tourist Entrance Fees for Cusco and Sacred valley: US$45.00.
- Optional tipping to staff.
- Trip member must provide sleeping bag and pad (rentals available).
INCA TRAIL DISCOUNTS
All documents needed to obtain discounts must be scanned (clean enlarged copy please) and emailed to us before we purchase permits (at the time of booking) otherwise you will not be able to obtain the discount.
- Student under 25 years old: 50% of entrance to the Inca trail. Students require a valid International Student Identity “ISIC” card and must be under 25 years old (Please note that Youth Travel Cards are not valid).
- Youth and minor’s discount from 8 to 15 years old: 50% of entrance to the Inca trail. Scanned valid Passport copy required.
- Children up to 7 years old: Enter the Inca trail for FREE. Passport copy required.
There are a variety of train departure times and prices. We reserve return trains for all our passengers as a precaution but you are welcome to book/buy your own if you prefer. We will reserve what we consider the most convenient return train for you and avoid the ones that pollute the air with extensive black smoke. We will bill you trains separately in your Final Balance. (Price is the same as offered in the train web-site plus a 6% Credit Card commission). If you prefer, you can choose to purchase your train tickets directly (please let us know if you do so we can cancel the reservations we make). You can obtain your train tickets at the following web sites: www.incarail.com.pe, www.perurail.com.
NOTE: We are presently booking all our Inca Trail Premium passengers on the Inca Rail First Class return train leaving M. Picchu at 7pm. Includes Dinner on board. You can expect to arrive to your hotel in Cusco at about 10:30pm. Please advise if you prefer the Executive train instead or if you would like to book your own.
ADD ANY OF THESE OPTIONALS TO ENHANCE AND COMPLETE YOUR VISIT
You add hotels and visits of interest in Cusco and surroundings.
- Transfers in and out in Cusco (from/to airport)
- City Tour and nearby ruins of Cusco
- 2 Hotel nights in Cusco (One night before and the other one after the 5D4N Inca Trail).
You can choose hotels in 3 levels: (Prices based in double occupancy)
Tourist: US$ 220.00 each person. These are simple 2 and 3 star hotels clean with private bathrooms and hot water. (If less than 4 people add US$50.00) S.S. = US$90
Comfort: US$ 260.00. These are 3 + or 4 star hotels. (If less than 4 people add US$50.00) S.S. = US$ 130.00
Luxury: US$ 380.00. These are 4+ or 5 star hotels. (If less than 4 people add US$50.00) S.S.= US$ 260.00
You will stay at hotel in Aguas Calientes and next day, assisted by a local Guide, you will visit Machu Picchu one more time for further explanations on the site and to visit other areas of the place. In the afternoon, return by train to Cusco.
- 1 night at hotel in Aguas Calientes (Prices based in double occupancy)
- 2nd day entrance fee to Machu Picchu including Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain hike
- Buses up and down from train station to Machu Picchu
Not Included: Return train
*Optional Lunch at Sanctuary Lodge: US$ 45.00
You can choose hotels in 3 levels (DWB rooms):
Tourist: US$ 190.00. These are simple hotels clean with private bathrooms and hot water. (If less than 4 people add US$25.00) S.S.= US$ 55.00
Comfort: US$ 230.00. These are 3+ or 4 star hotels. (If less than 4 people add US$25.00) S.S.= US$100.00
Premium: US$ 370.00. These are 4+ or 5 star hotels. (If less than 4 people add US$25.00) S.S. = US$230.00
You return back from Cusco to Ollantaytambo and stay overnight at local hotel, next day travel to Cusco visiting Moray (known as the Inca Agricultural Laboratory), short hike to the Salt mines of Maras and visit the Traditional town of Chinchero with Inca Ruins and Colonial Church.
- 1 night at Hotel in Ollantaytambo, transfer by private vehicle to Cusco with Guided visits to Moray, Maras and Chinchero, Lunch at local restaurant.
Tourist: US$170.00 each. (If less than 4 people add US$50.00) S.S.= US$35.00
Comfort: US$225.00 each. (If less than 4 people add US$50.00) S.S.= US$90.00
Luxury: not available.